Sunday, June 27, 2010

Travel is Fatal

Over the last decade or two, I have seen firsthand numerous examples of the wisdom of Mark Twain...
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

I believe that when we know and understand our neighbors, whether they live around the corner or around the world, we cannot hate them. When we understand, we begin to trust and, perhaps love.
During the early days of this year's Mardi Gras season in New Orleans, I was greeted by strangers on the street, in the shops, clubs and restaurants, and in their homes, with nothing less than warm welcomes and an obvious love for their city and for each other.
A few weeks after returning home, I came across an online news story about a shooting just outside the French Quarter. The comments from readers were venomous. There was only extreme disdain for "those people".
When our impressions of a city or a region are formed primarily by a sensational media, as in New Orleans after the Storm, we have no awareness of the beauty and kindness that surround us.
I went to New Orleans looking for goodness and I found it everywhere.

I believe that Knowing is Loving and I cannot wait to explore and share the next world city through TravelGuyde Photo Journals.
If others can understand our world better through compelling images and shared personal experiences, perhaps human unity can be improved.

If you agree (or if you don't), I'd love to hear from you.
Stephen@TravelGuyde.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to share?